Air travel can often be a stressful experience, run by a seemingly never-ending list of rules and regulations. But, we don’t have to always dread the thought of boarding a plane - because there are some simple etiquette tips and tricks to make sure we all experience a comfortable flight. Brush up on the basics with this refresher on business air-travel etiquette, to ensure you and your fellow travelers have an enjoyable journey!
1. Making the Most of Business Air Travel
Business air travel is one of the most convenient and most reliable ways to transport yourself and your team to meetings and events. With the right approaches and strategies, you can make the most of your time spent in the air.
- Be productive: Carve out time during the flight to finish tasks that require undivided attention or catch up on email and memos. Some jetliners even provide power for your laptop or tablets now.
- Stay organized: Invest in a well-designed carry-on with an unwavering organizational system that allows you to readily access the items you’ll need most often during your travels.
You can invest in jetliner’s subscription services or business travel programs that provide extra amenities designed for business airfare. This can include the ability to book flights, manage cancellations, and find the best fares. Other services may even provide lounge spaces for business meetings. With the right preparations, you can maximize the efficiency of your business air travel.
2. Important Tips for Soaring Successfully
1. Find the Right Mentor
Seeking the assistance of a mentor is a great way to soar to success. Having someone to guide you with their years of knowledge and experience can help you reach heights that you did not think were possible. When selecting a mentor, look for someone who is a great listener, has a track record of success that you wish to replicate, and can provide valuable insights that are beyond the scope of what any textbook can teach you.
2. Manage Your Time Cutively
Time will always be your most crucial asset. It’s the great equalizer, meaning that everyone has the same amount of it no matter their economic background or lifestyle. To take advantage of this precious resource, try to stay organized with your tasks and prioritize your activities accordingly. With the right amount of discipline, you will achieve more than what you initially thought was possible.
3. Get to Know Your Goal
Take the time to understand how to set a reasonable goal and the steps you should take to get there. Whether it’s a term paper or leading a new team, make sure that you identify any possible roadblocks you might come across and create a plan to avoid them. Doing this will help you to stay on track and prevent any costly mistakes that could have avoided otherwise.
4. Take Breaks
It can be daunting to take on any task that seems out of reach. That is why it is essential to take breaks in between. Breaks give you a chance to recharge and clear your head. If you are feeling overwhelmed, stepping away from a task can grant you clarity and renewed focus.
3. Know Your Business Air Travel Etiquette
Whether it’s for a business trip, vacation, or any other venture, air travel etiquette is important to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey. Here are some essential tips that make your business air travel smoother, enjoyable, and hassle-free:
- Be Prepared. Before flying, be sure to double-check the requirements for your destination. Research the security rules, check-in times, and other restrictions. Being prepared prevents any unwanted surprises on the day of the flight.
- Dress the Part. Comfort is absolutely essential when you’re travelling by air. That said, business air travel requires that you present a smart professional appearance – aim for classic and sophisticated when selecting your outfit.
- Make Room for Others. Be mindful of other passengers. Always be respectful and conscious of how your actions may affect them. When sitting, avoid taking up more than the seat that you have. You should also remember to be considerate when stowing items, as it can become a matter of safety.
- Be Courteous. Simple words of gratitude can go a long way in making a business trip more enjoyable. Acknowledge the staff members working on board with a “Please” and “Thank you” now and then, and you’ll make sure that your air travel experience is a memorable one.
When it comes to business air travel etiquette, it pays to be mindful of the needs of other passengers. A little courtesy and respect can go a long way in making sure your journey is a pleasant one.
4. A Refresher Course on Civility at 30,000 Feet
We’ve All Seen it
It’s the last thing that should be expected 30,000 feet in the air, yet it happens: passenger confrontations, someone playing music without headphones, someone moving a seat without asking… Civility is a word that’s quickly forgotten after that initial safety demonstration.
How to Rekindle Civility
- Address people with respect.
- Follow written or implied rules of behavior.
- Respect personal space.
- Be tolerant and understanding.
It starts with simple courtesies: A ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ here, a smile for the flight attendant there. It doesn’t take much to make each flight a bit kinder. We can all do our part: pack light in overhead compartments, lower the volume on our screens, and remember—no one’s a perfect flyer.
Traveling by air can not only be stressful but also a tricky etiquette terrain to navigate. So we hope this refresher on business travel etiquette has filled you in on the basics to make sure your next business trip is a successful and cordial one. Bon voyage!